HEXONET To Offer Innovative DPML Service to its Resellers as of December 1, 2013
What is the DPML?
Donuts Inc., one of the largest portfolio applicants of new gTLDs, has launched a brand new domain-blocking program designed to help companies protect their brands and IP rights. DPML stands for Domains Protected Marks List. The DPML program prevents cybersquatting by allowing brand and trademark owners to block all second level registrations across all Donuts TLDs with one trademark submission! DPML protects trademark holders at a fraction of what it would cost to defensively register all Donuts TLDs individually. Donuts has applied for over 300 new gTLDs and is estimating to open over 200 new gTLDs.
How Does it Work?
DPML Applications can be submitted directly through HEXONET. Prior to submitting a DPML Application, the trademark holder must first register a mark with the Trademark Clearinghouse (TMCH), a service that HEXONET also provides. The mark must be registered according to the "use" standard, which is the same standard for registration during the Sunrise period. Once the TMCH has validated a mark, a SMD File (signed mark data file) will be issued, which can be used to submit a DPML Application. Each DPML Application must (i) include one or more SMD files corresponding to the applied-for label(s) and (ii) meet the qualifications specified by ICANN and detailed in the TMCH Guidelines (may change from time to time). Once the DPML subscription is complete, the trademark term is blocked from registration in all Donuts' TLDs for an initial period of five years.
It is important to remember that a block is not a registered domain. Therefore, it cannot be used for a website or for email, and it does not resolve.
Key Benefits of a DPML Block:
- Brand owners can not only protect their trademarks, but also keywords that contain the trademark.
- Using the DPML is a more cost effective alternative to defensively registering multiple domain names
- A single registration covers ALL of Donuts' new gTLDs.
- Convenient 5-year term reduces the headaches of having to renew each year (longer terms available).
- A block can be removed (on a per TLD basis) should the trademark holder decide to register the domain (resolve) for use.
Donuts has already announced that the Sunrise for its first 7 new gTLDs will commence on November 26, 2013. (.BIKE, .CLOTHING, .GURU, .HOLDINGS, .PLUMBING, .SINGLES, .VENTURES). We highly recommend taking advantage of the DPML program early as all prior registrations made before a DPML subscription is made will not be retroactively blocked.
Pricing for a DPML - 5-Year Term:
- Reseller Price Class: 3,332.00* (net price: 2,800) USD/5 Year Protection
- Premium Price Class: 3,153.50* (net price: 2,650) USD/5 Year Protection
- Platinum Price Class: 2,975.00* (net price: 2,500) USD/5 Year Protection
Pricing for Annual DPML Renewal:
- Reseller Price Class: 666.40* (net price: 560.00) USD/Year Protection
- Premium Price Class: 630.70* (net price: 530.00) USD/Year Protection
- Platinum Price Class: 595.00* (net price: 500.00) USD/Year Protection
Note: A DPML is placed across all TLDs that Donuts supports. Donuts had applied for 307 newTLDs, therefore, the service may potentially cost as low as 2.00 USD per Blocked Domain, per TLD, per Year. Though not all of the 307 applied for TLD Applications will be granted to Donuts, however, HEXONET expects that a majority of them will.